Friday, October 7, 2011

Solaris 11 AI server : client profile issue

I recently came across this issue when setting up a Solaris 11 AI server.  For each client I had a manifest file and a profile.  I added both to the client I wanted to install.  The problem was that since I did not specify a criteria for the profile it meant that the profiles for each client where being run on every install.  Here is the solution :

"By default when you add a profile via "installadm create-profile", it will get assigned to all clients for this service.

To assign profiles to specific clients/hosts you have to provide criteria that will identify it.

In your scenario I'm presuming you just have the one install service created from which you'd like to install two machines from but apply a specific profile to each machine.

Assuming the install services is called my_ai. The default means of creating a profile which will apply to all client machines that get installed via this service would be :

   $ installadm create-profile -n my_ai -f machine1.profile.xml

To ensure a specific client machine uses a specific profile you'd have to add some criteria to the create-profile sub-command :

  $ installadm create-profile -n my_ai -f machine1.profile.xml -c ipv4=192.19.82.7


This will ensure that machine with ip 192.19.82.7 will get this profile and not any other machine. Where as without the criteria all machines would get it.

List of valid Criteria are under "CRITERIA" section of installadm(1M)."

Thanks for reading,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment